How to Create Interesting & Quality Articles: A Beginner's Guide
How to Create Interesting & Quality Articles: A Beginner's Guide
How to make articles that are interesting and easy to read? This is the answer, all interesting articles start with structured thinking and in-depth research.
So, to produce quality articles you need to have the right secret formula. Here, I will share how to create interesting articles for website content. What will you learn?
- First, the 4 pillars of the secret to creating quality articles.
- Second, there are 3 stages of the article creation process carried out by professional writers.
- Third, step by step how to make interesting and quality articles.
- Finally, the mistakes that beginners often make in making articles.
If you want to bring in a lot of traffic through your website then you will love this handy guide.
What are the things to consider in writing quality articles?
There are 4 important things that you need to master if you want to make quality and interesting articles. I will discuss it briefly, the rest please explore for yourself.
1. Search Intent
Writers who focus on search intent always produce interesting content. Because the author is not a maniac with keyword stuffing and excessive SEO optimization. Instead, the author will be very focused on answering the needs of visitors. As a result, the article is much more weighty and easy to read. For those who don't know about search intent? This is the answer. Search intent is the visitor's motive in doing a Google search.
- Informational intent.
- Navigational intents.
- Commercial intent.
- Transactional intents.
Articles must be purely from the author's thoughts (original). That is, you do not plagiarize and copy-paste other people's work brutally. So even if you cover the same topic, you can offer different solutions or points of view. That's originality!
What are the advantages of having original articles?
- You will be able to increase website branding quickly.
- You will have many loyal and loyal visitor followers.
- Your website will get a high authority value from Google.
So, originality is an important pillar in the tutorial on how to make a good and correct article.
Readability is a value that reflects the ease with which visitors can understand the content of the text. The higher the readability value, the easier it is for visitors to understand the contents of the article.
There are three factors that determine the readability value, for example:
- First, the choice of diction. The more common the words you use, the higher the readability score. So, avoid using jargon, foreign terms and technical terms.
- Second, sentence length. The longer a sentence, the harder it is for the brain to digest the message you want to convey. That is, short and effective sentences will have a much higher readability value than long sentences.
- Third, the structure of the content. Articles that have a comprehensive structure of headings 1, 2, and 3 always have high readability scores. That is, the structure of the article really helps the reader in understanding the article.
Findability is a term for content that is search engine friendly. That is, search engines easily understand the content of the content. Thus, your article will get a high ranking in Google.
Still confused huh?
Simply put, in addition to writing interesting content, writers must focus on implementing On-page SEO knowledge in articles.
Because articles that have good on-page SEO must have a high findability value on the Google search engine algorithm. As a result, Google will promote articles on the right search keywords.
How Professional Writers Create Articles
In order to consistently produce quality content, you need to organize your work. Break each stage into small pieces and slowly combine them.
The technique I use is the hourglass method. So, I divided the process of how to make quality articles into 3 stages with a ratio of 40:20:40.
1. Preparation Stage (40%)
At the preparation stage, I will do in-depth research on a topic or keyword focus. For example, I want to write an article with a topic or focus on the keyword "how to make an article".
At this stage, I will dive into the search intent of these keywords. These questions often help me understand search intent.
- What is the purpose of this article?
- Who is the target visitor I'm aiming for?
- What message do I want to convey through this article?
Next, I will map the content according to the expectations of the visitor's needs. Then, I will collect as many supporting references as possible. Finally, I made an outline of the article (outline).
How long does this preparatory stage take? I usually spend 40% of the time creating articles in the preparation stage. Because in my opinion, this preparation stage is a crucial stage in making interesting articles.
2. Article Writing Stage (20%)
After you really understand the search intent of the topic you are aiming for, review the outline of the article again. Ask the following questions over and over again:
- What do I want to say?
- Who is the audience I want to reach?
Ask repeatedly to sharpen your writer's intuition. If you need to change the outline of the article, then fix it immediately. If not, it's time to start writing. How long does the article writing stage take? Usually, I write articles in a relatively short time. About 20% of article creation time. I can write quickly because I already have an idea of what I want to convey. So, yes! I just wrote it flowing to the end.
3. Editing Stage (40%)
Well, after the writing stage is complete. I usually silence the article first. Let the mind relax and rest. Because at the editing stage you will seriously polish the article.
What do I do at the editing stage?
So, why rewrite everything? Yes it is true, you are not misreading. To produce quality articles, you need to rewrite and edit continuously until the article becomes very good. If you don't have time to go through the process, hire a professional writer. The last step, do the finishing. Here are some finishing that I often do when making quality articles.
- Make sure you have used the correct diction selection.
- Make sure there are no typos.
- Eliminate ambiguous and inefficient words/sentences.
- Perform On-page SEO optimization.
So far, understand? Come on, let's continue to learn how to make articles step by step!
How to Make Interesting Articles That Are Easy to Read
To produce a good article, you need to master the 4 points that I have conveyed at the beginning. Apply knowledge of search intent, originality, readability and findability thoroughly. That's not the secret. Still confused huh? Okay, I will give you a step by step tutorial so that you understand better. Let's dive in!
1. Determine the Article Topic First
Article topics can come from trending news, keyword research and visitor problems. In this tutorial I will take the topic "how to create articles". At the same time, I made that topic as the focus keyword for the content of this article.
Once you've found the right article topic, it's time to dive into that topic. Here are two questions that I always use to dive into the topic of articles I want to write.
- What message do I want to convey? I want to give a tutorial on how to make articles that are easy to read for beginners.
- Who are my target visitors? My target audience is budding bloggers and budding freelance writers.
2. Do In-depth Research on the Topic
For research related to the topic of the article, I rely on the author's instinct (instinct), Google search, and discussion forums.
An example of research on the topic "how to write an article" with instinct:
- Gather supporting references.
- Create an article outline.
- Arrange headings & sub-headings.
- Determine the estimated length of the article.
- Write articles to completion.
- Editing & finishing.
So, I wrote down my thoughts regarding the needs of readers who are browsing with the keyword how to write articles.
Where did I get the list from? From my instincts as a writer.
At this stage, you don't have to be afraid, just write down everything that comes to your mind. Later, when you create an outline, you can delete unnecessary lists.
3. Make a Clear and Comprehensive Article Structure (Outline)
After I understood search intent and did some research paper outline, The result is like the image below:
Why do you have to outline the article first? In my experience, the outline of the article will make the writing flow more focused and directed.
So, writers will find it easier to express their ideas and thoughts in a structured manner.
4. Use Headings 1, 2 and 3 to Strengthen Article Structure
- Title: Heading 1 (H1).
- Chapter: Heading 2 (H2).
- Sub-chapter: Heading 3 (H3).
- Sub-class: Heading 4 (H4).
Articles that use headings will have high readability. So, it is easier for readers to understand the message you want to convey.
Headings are also very useful for On-page SEO. Where, headings will help Google to understand the core of the main topic in a long article. So, headings can help increase the ranking of articles on Google's page-one.
If you want to direct the reader's focus, you should also add headings 2 & 3. A hierarchy with subheadings will clarify the structure of the article.
You can also use multiple keywords in headings and subheadings. The goal is to focus the topic of discussion and attract the attention of skimming type readers.
5. Make sure each paragraph is short and contains one main idea
At stage 5, you can start to write articles. Just start. You can start writing from anywhere.
However, in my experience, it is better to write in the following order:
- First, finish the body of the article first.
- Second, write the opening paragraph as interesting as possible. And finish the concluding paragraph with a weighty conclusion.
- Third, make a title that represents the content of your article. Make sure the title has allure and makes people curious.
- Finally, start the editing process from the first paragraph to the last paragraph.
You can use a combination of bullet points, numbering and multilevel lists to give paragraphs more weight. However, make sure each paragraph has one main idea. So, the focus of the reader will be maintained.
6. Write Articles Following the Inverted Pyramid Rule
Inverted Pyramid is an article writing style by presenting the big picture of the article first. Then the author directs the reader step by step to a more conical and detailed discussion. Until finally, the reader absorbs all the messages the author wants to convey.
You may ask, “How long should I write an article? 1,200 words? 2500 words?”. Don't rely on word count.
My advice, focus on the search intent of the focus of the keywords you are aiming for. Because sometimes there is a search intent that only needs an article of 700 words, and there is a search intent that takes an article of up to 3,000 words.
Note: Inverted pyramid is one of my secret techniques in producing quality articles continuously.
You can apply this technique to various types of articles. For example: scientific articles, blogs, opinions, journals, and news.
7. Do On-page SEO Optimization
At stage 7, I assume you have got a complete article that has been completed. The next step is to do On-page SEO optimization.
What is On-page SEO? On-page SEO is a technique for creating articles to get high rankings in Google searches according to the focus of the targeted keywords.
8. Final Editing
Beginner writers usually don't do the final editing process after doing On-page SEO optimization. Because according to them, final editing is just a waste of time.
The way professional writers create content is just the opposite. The editing stage of a professional writer is much longer. He even spent 40% of the article creation process just for editing.
So, the editing stage is as crucial as the content research stage.
Note: If you want to make quality and interesting articles, don't skip the editing stage. Trust me! It's worth it!
What do I need to do at the editing stage?
- Read articles aloud. If you find a strange sentence when reading, restructure & rewrite.
- Read the article aloud a second time. If you find a word that is ambiguous or difficult to understand, rewrite it. Make sure you choose a diction that is easy to understand.
- Read the article for the third time. If you find typos, spelling errors, foreign terms writing is not correct, rewrite. Make sure your article is in accordance with the PEUBI rules.
- Finally, do proofreading checks, such as checking spelling, punctuation, writing errors and placing the image for the last time.
Congratulations, you have finished learning how to write an interesting and quality article. After your masterpiece is complete, the last step is to submit the article to the publisher or directly publish the article on your website.
Fundamental Mistakes Beginners Often Make When Writing Articles
There are some mistakes that are often made by novice writers, such as:
1. Not Doing Keyword Research & Content Research Properly
Writers who are not deep in the topic of the article will only produce ordinary articles. He may be able to pursue readability and findability, but the article is less interesting. Because it does not match the search intent. And the value of the originality of the article is low.
Remember the hourglass method I explained in the earlier discussion? I spend 40% of the article writing process just on topic research, understanding search intent and creating article outlines.
It may be boring for novice writers, but, it's work!
2. More Concerned with Article Quantity Than Article Quality
Many budding writers get stuck in the commodity business philosophy. Where, they view articles as a business commodity like buying and selling rice. So, novice writers will write as much and as quickly as possible so that their commodity sells. Here I feel sorry.
If you want to produce good articles, remove that philosophy. Embed the following new philosophy: Quality Over Quantity. What are the advantages of instilling the philosophy of quality over quantity?
- You will focus more on the preparation stage (40%) and editing stage (40%).
- You will produce articles that are much more weighty, interesting and easy to read.
- You can build branding and strengthen On-page SEO at the same time.
- You will be satisfied with your work articles.
Thus the discussion on how to create an interesting and quality article. My message, do not write content in a hurry.
Spend more time on the content research and editing stages. Next, just hone writing skills continuously.
Share this Article!